Ditch the Chemical-Laden Cleaners
With a surge in both production and consumption of cleaning products, it’s important to note that a lot of cleaners are full of harmful chemicals that can affect your endocrine system and overall health of you and your pets.
When you open a standard cleaning product, you may be bombarded with a strong scent of “fragrance” and chemicals. These don’t do much to aid in cleaning, and there are plenty of ways you can make you own cleaners, or even buy more natural products that will keep your home clean, sanitized and smelling ultra fresh!
All Purpose Cleaner:
- White vinegar
- Citrus peels, saved from eating
- Lavender or rosemary sprigs, optional
- Wide-mouthed glass jar + lid
Fill jar 2/3 full of vinegar. Add citrus peels and herbs of choice. Cover with lid, store in fridge up to one month.
Once your vinegar is infused to your liking (I recommend 14 days, then remove the peels and herbs) it's time to make your cleaner!
- 2TBS of your infused vinegar (or plain, white vinegar)
- 2tsp liquid Castile Soap (such as Dr Bonner's)
- 2C water, or however much will fill your spray bottle. Bonus points if it's repurposed from a former cleaner!
- 5-10 drops essential oils, such as tea tree, lavender, lemon or basil (get creative, experiment with different oil combos to find a scent you love)
Add all ingredients to spray bottle and gently shake the bottle to combine, voila! Now you have a homemade cleaner that's both highly effective, smells great and is a healthy alternative for both you, your family and pets.
Best for grimy porcelain & metal surfaces
- 2C Baking soda
- 25-30 Drops Lemon essential oil (Revive oils is my personal favorite brand)
- Pour some baking soda on a damp sponge or brush
- Add a few drops of lemon essential oil
- Then, get scrubbing on the semi-dry surface of whatever you're cleaning
- After scrubbing, rinse surface and be mesmerized by how sparkly clean that surface is!
Dropps. These pods are changing up the laundry game - use code ZABETTE for 30% off your first purchase!
Blueland. This company is changing up the sustainable cleaning game, offering all plastic-free cleaning supplies. I've just ordered my starter set, Will definitely be sharing results on my Instagram stories once it arrives!
DIY Toilet Fizzies
- 1C Baking Soda
- 1/4C Citric Acid
- 1/2tsp White vinegar (or your infused vinegar)
- 1TBS hydrogen peroxide
- 40 Drops essential oils (I recommend lemon, rosemary, orange, or basil; feel free to use your favorite scent combos!)
- Parchment paper lined baking sheet OR silicone molds.
- Small scooper (spoon)
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Add baking soda to citric acid in a medium mixing bowl, mix thoroughly.
- In separate container, mix vinegar and hydrogen peroxide together.
- SLOWLY pour the liquid mixture into the dry mix, stirring until it clumps together.
- Add a total of 40 drops of essential oil(s).
- Make super mixture is well-combined.
- Prepare your baking sheet or silicone molds and either use the scoop to pack in about 1TBS of the mixture, or pack into the silicone mold of similar size.
- If your tabs look a bit dry, use a spray bottle with some vinegar and lightly spritz them to help them keep their shape.
- place your baking sheet somewhere out of the way and allow the tabs to dry for approx 24 hours. Once they are completely dry, store them in an air tight container.
To use, drop one tab in toilet bowl and let if fizz for a few minutes before scrubbing with toilet brush then flush.
I hope these new methods allow your cleaning time to feel less like a chore and more like a fun refresh for your home. Happy scrubbing!